Saturday, February 3, 2018

ScrapHappy Saturday - Fresh Start



 A new month is always exciting.  Pulling out a new color and digging in is a little bit like a tiny birthday present at the beginning of each new month. First up this month are the February Squared Away blocks.  Mari has written a great tutorial if you are interested in making these blocks.  Hers are in a 10 inch size while mine are only 7.5 inches.  I also noticed that she used slightly different combinations of colors.  The nice thing about making three of each block is that you can play with different combinations.  I did find after making several blocks that I got so much better about planning out the seams.  After going though a couple of twisted allowances in the first month, I started putting these together as if they were tiny quilts, following the webbing method I learned from quilt in a day so many years ago.
Now that those are crossed off the list, I'm planning on digging in and playing some more with my scraps.  Purple is a pretty big color for me.  Maybe because I have two daughters?  Hopefully I can put some of that purple to good use this month.
I'll be back sometime today with a PDF version of the directions and will post updated links on the RSC18 Sampler tab.  Please use the linky below so we can all see what great purple plans you have brewing for February. Just finished this step, be sure to take a look if you like to save off PDF files for later.  

16 comments:

Ivani said...

I'm so excited with the Squared Away BOM, Le't play with our purple scraps.

make.share.give said...

Thank you for the link explaining the webbing method. I kind of already do that but loved reading about it.

Jamie Janow Elfert said...

Like you, my purple scraps are plentiful. Thank you for hosting and looking forward to another year of Rainbows.

Deb @ Frugal Little Bungalow said...

your blocks look pretty and it is always interesting to see the various color combinations and how they can change the look of the blocks

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

Those look like fun blocks! I'm looking forward to making them!

Ellen said...

I am looking forward to playing with my purple scraps this month. :)

julieQ said...

Super fun Squared away blocks!! I am looking forward to purple...next week, when I have time off work!!

Sarah said...

So glad it's purple this month! I like Stephanies tracking chart in the last post (who doesn't like a chart to fill in!)

JanineMarie said...

This party is so inspiring. I'm going to have fun participating this year. Blue was easy--purple a little more challenging. I like reminiscing about where all these scraps came from.

Edith said...

Looking forward to making this new block, I've decided on the 10 inch block.

Angie said...

Looking forward to playing with purple this month!

Sue SA said...

Now I have a RSC quilt finish for the month I can start playing with my purple scraps! Thanks for the inspiration to keep using up the scraps.

QuiltE said...

My blues are posted now .... but I am not blue!
I only wish I could be as prolific as many of the rest of you!
On the upside, some months, it is these monthly challenges that get me doing some sewing that otherwise would not have happened. Looking forward to the purples and lavenders for February fun.

Michelle Ridgway said...

I have joined in again. Thank you for your inspiration. This year I am stitching circles. I have tried to link up but it always comes up with an error but I am enjoying the challenge once again x

floribunda said...

haven't done any purple for this year yet, but I did finish an earlier project -- does that count?

Patch d'Ours said...

I have done the blue and the purple blocs but I don't succes to send th pictures.